The Rollins Reading Double Dose program provides additional reading instruction for children who need a little extra help to achieve grade-level literacy. Each child receives DOUBLE reading lessons to improve achievement -- one lesson with the classroom teacher and one lesson with the Rollins Reading teacher in a small group setting. This program was founded in 2010.
Who: Children in kindergarten through second grade who need a little extra assistance to achieve grade-level literacy.
Why: The early grades are the best time to support children in their literacy development. Extra small group instruction helps ensure that participating children reach and maintain grade-level literacy.
What: Small group reading lessons are 30 minutes each during the school day (3-5 days per week).
Teacher: Susan Maglich is a certified reading instructor and an award-winning teacher with nearly 40 years of experience in the Columbia Public Schools.
Classroom Teacher observations:
According to classroom teachers, Rolllins Reading students show improvement in:
- Recognizing high-frequency words
- Letter/sound recognition and phonemic skills
- Reading fluently with inflection
- Using specific comprehension strategies
- Self-confidence when reading
- Sustained reading independently
- Reading assessment gains
- Over fifty kindergarten through second grade students have been served each year.
- All of the students have made reading gains from Fall to Spring each year.
- Approximately 64% of first and second grade students in our program are on or above grade level by the time of Spring reading assessments.
Double Dose Reading Program
Grant Elementary School
(Columbia Public Schools)
10 East Broadway
Columbia, MO 65203